Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Nearly a dozen people involved in the Clyde Cancer Cluster hosted a meeting at Fremont Ross High School Monday night.

The meeting was designed to offer information about the ongoing investigation. The group voiced concern for the safety of Clyde Green-Springs schools which has not been tested for toxins that have been found in homes of several children that have been affected. So far about two dozen children have fallen ill and 5 have died.

Four Island goers are being investigated after capsizing a speedboat Sunday near Kelleys Island.

The Ohio Department of Natural Resources Division of Watercraft and US Coast Guard responded after receiving a call Sunday evening. When the agencies arrived four uninjured individuals had already been rescued by a good Samaritan. The incident is still under investigation.

Backers of the third attempt in less than two years to legalize medical marijuana in Ohio insist the latest effort will be successful.

The Ohio Rights Group has come closer to getting petition circulators out. Both Attorney General Mike DeWine and the Ohio Ballot Board have signed off on language that would be shown to potential petition signers. The group knows it will need significant financial support to gather nearly 400,000 valid signatures from registered voters.

A New London man has pleaded innocent to an assault that sent a 57-year-old man to the hospital.

Ronald D. Ohm goes to trial Aug. 27 in Huron County Common Pleas Court for a March 29 assault at the American Legion Club. According to reports, two victims were arguing when Ohm reportedly pushed the older man. The man, a New London Township resident, went to Fisher-Titus Medical Center reportedly with a broken right collarbone, right shoulder and left lower leg. If convicted of felonious assault, Ohm faces two to eight years in prison.

A Norwalk man recently pleaded guilty to setting fire to a stolen van.

19 year old Jimmy Watts Jr, faces up to three years in prison when he is sentenced June 26. He pleaded guilty to one count each of theft of a motor vehicle and arson. The state, as part of a plea deal, dismissed one charge of tampering with evidence, also in connection with the same Oct. 28 incident. Huron County Prosecutor Richard Woodruff said Watts stole a Dodge Journey and used a gasoline can stored in the van to set fire to it. Watts remains in custody at the Huron County Jail.